About Me

I am 24 Years old, and I have voted only once. Based on the survey, I am a "Social Conservative,” which is a Republican group. Although I do not agree with all their ideals, I do relate to most of them. I am a bit religious, like Social Conservatives, and I also support environmental issues. Social Conservatives also have a strong anti-immigrant sentiment, as do I. I am NOT conservative on social issues like abortion and gay marriage; I believe that these choices are up to the individual. Social Conservatives are 91% white, 58% female, and average age is 50. I am none of those! 56% of them have a gun in their home, which I do have. I took this class because it was required for my degree that I am pursuing. I hope to get a better understanding of how the government of Texas operates, and how I can do my part to make Texas a better place of all Texans.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Money for Texas?


                In David Jennings’ blog called Big Jolly Politics, he wrote a post called “Texas Legislature should use part of Rainy Day Fund.” Jennings states that he has been blogging for a very long time, since he was a teenager, and does his research on his topics, which shows in is post. This gives Jennings very good credibility. His argument in this post is actually the title; he thinks that the Texas Legislature should use part of Rainy Day Fund (Economic Stabilization Fund) to help with the current Texas budget deficit of $4.3 billion. He says that “the House needs to pass HB 275 and be done with it.” HB 275 is a bill that will take $4,273,557,000 from the Rainy Day Fund and deposit it into the general revenue fund to make up for the $4.3 billion budget deficit. Jennings reasoning for this is that “there isn’t $4.3 BILLION to cut in the next five months.” He also states that “there are much bigger fish to fry and we need the current legislature to focus on that.” I’m guessing the education of about 4 million Texas students or the problems along our border. This post is directed toward the “Tea Party people,” who oppose taking money from the Rainy Day Fund. Jennings makes a good argument, and I agree with him. How are we supposed to come up with $4.3 billion in cuts when they aren’t there? I think that if Texas has the money, then it should use it to correct there mistake. I do not believe that cuts from government jobs and educations will help our economy in any way. We will just have more unemployed Texans and more uneducated children that will not be prepared for the future of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment